Fifteen members of the Stanley High School Future Business Leaders of America (FBLA) chapter attended the ND FBLA State Leadership Conference in Bismarck, March 27-29. Over 50 FBLA chapters from across the state participated in this conference where their students had the opportunity to test their business skills against other students from around the state.
The most exciting aspect of the conference is the competitive events program. Students have the opportunity to test the business skills they’ve learned in the classroom in a variety of individual, team, and chapter events. Students can enter events such as accounting, computer applications, public speaking, job interview, website development, or networking concepts. The culmination of the competitive events program is the awards ceremony where winners are recognized for their accomplishments.
In addition to the competitive events program, students had the opportunity to attend workshops, vote for the 2022-23 state officer team, and network with members from around the state. Lara Lane and Macee Jones both ran for state officer positions. Lara Lane ran for Region II Vice President and had a detailed campaign for plans to improve the communication for members in North Dakota FBLA. Macee Jones ran for the position of Treasurer with a campaign focused on bringing career experience to members throughout the state and was elected as the ND FBLA State Treasurer for 2022-2023.
The following students placed in the top 10 of their event and were recognized on stage at the closing ceremony:
- 1st place Business Law – Reagan Hermanson
- 1st place Local Chapter Annual Business Report – Kaisa Mortensen
- 2nd place Human Resource Management – Kaisa Mortensen
- 2nd place Parliamentary Procedure – Corra Bell, Ian Conard, Reagan Hermanson, Ava Schuster
- 2nd place Public Speaking – Lara Lane
- 3rd place Learning Strategies Middle Level – Mya Mortensen
- 5th place Database Design and Application – Ella Mortensen
- 5th place Organizational Leadership – Kaisa Mortensen
- 7th place Insurance and Risk Management – Ava Schuster
- 7th place Introduction to Information Technology – Caleb Mortensen
- 9th place Business Calculations – Allyson Webster
- 9th place Introduction to Business Procedures – Jake Hernandez
- 9th place Introduction to Information Technology – Jake Hernandez
- 10th place UX Design – Keeli Meland
As a chapter, Stanley was recognized as a Bronze Level Chapter and received the award for Largest Local Chapter in North Dakota with 51 members in grades 9-12. Looking ahead, members will now start preparing for the National FBLA Conference held in Chicago this summer.